Tuesday, March 23, 2010

easter basket

Happy Tuesday! I hope you are enjoying the Easter themed week at Lemon Tree...

My son didn't have his own Easter basket yet. This is only his 2nd Easter so I think he is okay, but I was determined to get him one this year. His big sister has one that we bought on clearance at Target a few years ago. I love it and have searched for a boy version to no avail. I decided to take matters into my own hands with Avery's basket as my inspiration...


I bought some hard felt pieces at Hobby Lobby, large white ric-rac and some big brown wooden buttons. I also used some scrap brown fabric, tacky glue, and white embroidery thread...


{Warning: I am a total sewing rookie.}

I started by cutting one of the blue pieces the size I wanted for the body of the basket. I used Avery's basket as a guide. I kept the length of the felt piece as is and cut about 4 inches off the top to make it approximately 18 x 8"...


Next, I used my iron-on transfer paper (Avery brand) to print and iron Tyson's name on a piece of white scrap fabric I had lying around. I then hand stitched the white piece of fabric to the brown piece that would be around the middle of the basket...


I then laid the large white ric-rac down on the edges of the brown fabric and pinned it to keep it in place. Don't forget to put the ends together making sure the ric-rac and fabric line up before you sew. (I forgot this step so my basket looks crazy from the back. Oops. You live, you learn, right?) I took it to the machine and stitched along the middle of the ric-rac...


There was extra fabric on either end of the felt so I cut it down a little and then glued it around to the other side of the felt to keep it in place...


I then began hand-stitching the open ends of the basket together...


So, I had me a little cylinder of sorts. I used the open bottom as a pattern and drew a circle on my felt for the bottom of the basket...


I popped the circle in place and began hand-stitching the bottom to the body of the basket...


It was now time for a strap. I cut strips out of my piece of hard white felt about 1 1/2 inches wide and 18 inches long. I rounded both ends of the felt and pinned the strap in place...


I sewed the buttons on each side to complete the basket. They turned out to be my favorite part...


Now the little man finally has an Easter basket of his very own...


And he is already loving it...


I am linking this Easter project to these parties this week. You will definitely want to check them out. You are sure to be inspired! See you next Tuesday!


26 comments:

Jessica March 23, 2010 at 7:23 AM  

Tiffany! This is adorable! I would love to tackle this project for my 5 nieces.

Sawdust Girl March 23, 2010 at 7:48 AM  

Sooooooooo cute. I love that your projects are simple to understand and easy to make but are oh so adorable. TFS
Sandra @ sawdustandpaperscraps

TBonesMom March 23, 2010 at 8:26 AM  

Nice job, Tiff! I think the basket is awesome, but I think it's not nearly as cute as the boy carrying it. LOL. :o)

Mary Beth @ Live. Laugh. Make Something March 23, 2010 at 8:31 AM  

absolutely precious! ...and very well made!

Unknown March 23, 2010 at 8:38 AM  

Awesome job! This cute basket looks great!!
~Rebekah

Alyssa March 23, 2010 at 11:22 AM  

Now I want to make Easter baskets for the girls. So cute, as always.

Teri March 23, 2010 at 11:40 AM  

Super cute! Happy Easter to you and your fam! :)

Anonymous March 23, 2010 at 1:33 PM  

Wow, Tiffany! I am really impressed with your hand stitching, you did a great job! Practice makes perfect, they say. It is adorable and you did a good job of explaining how you made it.
Love,
Mom

Anonymous March 23, 2010 at 2:17 PM  

That basket is so cute, Tiffany! You did such a great job! I am so impressed by you and your talent and creativity! Way to go!!!

Erin A March 23, 2010 at 3:07 PM  

This is so cute!! So much hand sewing though, you are a real dedicated momma! It looks great, love those buttons too.

Patrice March 23, 2010 at 8:21 PM  

Love it! I need to personalize one for Laurelei too now! Great!

Morgan//Nuts and Bows March 23, 2010 at 8:57 PM  

This is too cute! Thanks for the great tutorial!

~Morgan

http://meetvirginiaandroo.blogspot.com/
http://www.etsy.com/shop/MeetVirginiaShop

Jan Hennings March 24, 2010 at 8:49 AM  

lovin your sqeet Easter Basket :)
Great tutorial!

Unknown March 24, 2010 at 9:00 AM  

What a cute project and your son is absolutely adorable!

Unknown March 24, 2010 at 11:24 AM  

That is SOOOO cute!

Amy @ Positively Splendid March 25, 2010 at 8:15 AM  

Really darling! It is so amazing how it seems every little ones loves a bucket to put things in. My kiddos have all loved to carry their Easter baskets around long after Easter has come and gone. :)

M.O.T.B March 25, 2010 at 8:56 AM  

The basket is cute, but if you are going to post photos of your little boy...he will always steal the show!!!!! He is absolutely gorgeous!!!!!! New follower! Come visit me if you get a chance!

Helena March 25, 2010 at 12:16 PM  

Aw, this is adorable, and your little guy is so cute!

Thank you for linking this up too!

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans March 25, 2010 at 6:06 PM  

Holy Cuteness! This is so darling! love it! love it! love it! :)

Jessica March 26, 2010 at 7:21 AM  

Very nice! What cute little basket.

Andy Porter March 26, 2010 at 8:01 AM  

Grrr...I bought some cheap-o Easter baskets from a quarta after the season and they're already breaking apart. I LOVE this idea and it seems like it would be easy to STORE! You've just conquered by biggest pet peeve of Easter baskets!! Well done!

TidyMom March 27, 2010 at 9:54 AM  

This is adorable!! I LOVE it!

Thanks for linking up on I'm Lovin' It!! Have a GREAT weekend!

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden March 27, 2010 at 12:38 PM  

That is so cute. I love the colors you picked! Who says Easter baskets have to be pastels!

Thanks for linking up to Make it Yours Day at My Backyard Eden!

Kaysi March 29, 2010 at 1:13 PM  

Super super cute!!

Sarah March 30, 2010 at 7:35 PM  

I'm not sure which is more adorable... your little man OR his new Easter basket?!!
God's blessings,
Sarah :D

Stacey @ Fun to Craft March 31, 2010 at 8:18 PM  

This turned out adorable!! I think your little man is pretty darn cute too! Thanks for sharing at Fun to Craft's Spring has Sprung Party.

Related Posts with Thumbnails