Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Custom Bedskirt

Today's post is brought to you by Wendy of the Shabby Nest. Who doesn't love Wendy and her Shabby Nest? If you have never visited her, you should definitely make it a point to do so. She has loads of fabulous decorating ideas on a budget! She has been my inspiration for so many things in my home.


Do you want a custom bedskirt, but you don't want to pay custom $$$$? If so, you've come to the right place.


I want my bedding to be easy on my pocketbook, but I want it to look custom. We have been using a fitted sheet to cover our box springs...this is a great option if you want a more clean, contemporary look. But I am going for a more romantic, luxurious look. So I wanted a bedskirt. Because I am aiming for a neutral palette in my bedroom, I wanted to bring in texture. All of the neutral-colored bedskirts I found in the stores were...how shall I put it?...BORING! And the catalogs were a little too pricey for my budget. What's a girl to do?

I went and found some flax-colored linen fabric that I love and made a no-sew bedskirt.

If you want to make your own custom bedskirt, this is what you'll need:

  • Approximately 4 yards of fabric

  • Scissors

  • 2 - 1"x2" wooden boards cut to the length of the bed (approximately 72")

  • 1 - 1"x2" wooden board cut to the width of the bed (I have a king-size bed, mine is cut to approximately 66")

  • measuring tape and pencil

  • staple gun and staples

  • hot glue gun or fabritac

1. Cut the entire length of fabric down the center. Standard fabric widths are between 48" and 56" this will create a drape of 24" to 28" which is perfect for most beds. (Please ignore the ratty carpet in these photos...it is on the list of things to replace.)



2. Take the first board and using a measuring tape, make marks every 8" - these marks will indicate where pleats will be spaced. (You can forego this step if you decide that you want a plain or flat bedskirt. I wanted mine to have a little fulness - but not too much - so I chose to space the pleats 8" apart. You can make them closer or farther apart depending on your personal taste.)



3. Starting at one end, fold the fabric in about 1" and tac the edge to itself using either a glue gun....or if you are glue-gun-challenged like me, you can use fabritac. Same effect no heat. This will create a finished edge.

4. Line the fabric up with the top of the board and staple it.


5. At the next mark, fold the fabric over about 1" to create a pleat. Staple the pleat.

6. Repeat at each remaining mark.


7. I used two rows of staples to make sure the pleats were secure.

8. Once you reach the end of the wood, cut the fabric leaving enough to fold in 1" . Fold...secure edge with glue to create a "hem"...then staple. Fold the bottom up and glue in a hem. I loved the look of the frayed selvedge on my linen (part of that whole texture idea), so I opted not to hem it, but if I decide that the bedskirt starts to look more shabby than chic, I can always glue/hem it later on. (That's the beauty of no-sew!)

9. Repeat process for two remaining boards.

10. Take each board and simply tuck it between the mattress and box springs. That's it!! A custom bedskirt!

This whole project took me less than 1/2 hour and cost me only $20 for the fabric on sale. (I already had the wood - but if you have to purchase wood, it isn't very expensive) Not bad!

Have a lovely Tuesday~

Wendy

4 comments:

Mimi from Peachy Papaya August 24, 2010 at 3:09 PM  

This is such an awesome idea and so easy to put on the bed. I love it and will be doing this for my bedskirt....

Debbie Corbari August 24, 2010 at 6:11 PM  

I just recently found your blog and am so excited to visit it every day! I have you saved right up on my google bar! You have THE BEST ideas!! So stinkin' CREATIVE and INSPIRING! I love ya!

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas August 24, 2010 at 9:10 PM  

This is exactly how I did my bed skirt and I so LOVE it! I have had it on for about a year and it is still good as new!

Your tutorial is fabulous and your bed is gorgeous! I so enjoy your blog...

Lou Cinda :)

Roeckers August 25, 2010 at 8:19 AM  

Great idea!! Clever! Once I get the girls room together I am thinking this will be a great way to start redoing the master bed!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails